Wednesday, November 03, 2010

A Walk in Pune

In my first endeavor to turn the green way and of self preservation I walked down to office today. It is not that walking is novel to my lifestyle. I walk often (I run more often but I will keep that for later). I amble, stray or brisk walk, this however being the first time that I walked with a destination. 5kms.

One of the advantages of having an office so close is that, you have several options to explore to reach the office other than the regular comfort of your car. Hitchhike, pick up by your colleague, a rickshaw, by bus (though I am not a great fan of PCMC/PMT buses), bicycle (next in plan), run or walk. Though I have been thinking to walk down for a couple months now I have realized that until you have a reason (my car being in the garage) even a Robin Sharma cannot motivate you to do so.

As I walked today I was thinking as I usually do. Walking gives me a more relaxed frame of mind to think, retrospect and plan, compared to a run. Being on foot and on the road which I have driven on all these years, gave me a first hand perspective to everyone who is outside the console of a car ... there is no place for pedestrians and they are vehemently neglected while planning the transport infrastructure. Walkways are dilapidated with bare manholes. Iron rods protrude out at free will on the edges. Trees are felled to broaden the roads but no heed is paid to plant saplings to replace the felled trees. Incessant honking by fellow drivers (as if their pants are on fire and they need to enter the office premises at the earliest in order to quench their burning bottoms) is a constant deterrent unless you are on an ipod with volume so loud that it deafens the noise. The dirt on the road blowing under a speeding car is no less than a desert storm. If you do not have a pollution mask on, consume an anti allergic prior to your expedition. Open garbage dumps lie scattered throughout the stretch; the stench was enough to drive me wild.

I sweated and gasped for fresh air as I finally made it to office. It is a pity that the green city Pune which it once used to be is gasping too for air and a life. The aggression of people during drive, the annoying traffic, the reprehensible surroundings and the grime, all put me off enough to think twice before I walk again.

I rather drive in the comfort of my car emitting CFCs, honking at will, driving through the maze, amused at the pedestrians and euphoric in accomplishment on making it to office every day.

1 comment:

sulagna said...

Its an initiative baby that has to be started by someone. being an evangelist on any cause needs a lot of will and determination,and in your case you need to brave the dust, the mad rush and a worrying wife..the rest will fall in place..slowly